Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:47:37 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vngns ARE junk! Wilder's Law
Comments: To: Benoit <huotb@videotron.ca>

I am not picking on my friend Larry and he had a great trip breakdowns and all. I am all for fixing what is known to be bad before a big trip. It just seems that we can go too far in trying to head off problems that may never crop up. Buy a van that has been seeing regular use, check it out for a while, fix those problems that are discovered. You are right that rebuilt engines don't often live as long as the original. Same goes for the trannys. A couple years ago I had one of my 2wd trannys rebuilt as a precaution in a Westy I planned to take some very long trips in. Big mistake. I have never before had a VW tranny turn to rubble while I was driving but the rebuilt one did just that on a big trip. That was after it had been fixed under warranty once already. After that I junked the tranny and put a used one in. No problems with that one.

Mark