Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:23:14 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 full Westy for sale...$2000...
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>

Andrew Fox wrote: "Disclaimer: Vanagons are not reliable, they are hard to find parts for, hard to find people to work on them, they get horrible gas mileage, they are bad for the enviornement, and they aren't safe. In short they are for car collectors and not people serious about travelling or transportation."

How could such a great member say such a awful thing about one of the best VW's VW ever made?

Why even be a Vanagon list member if you disdain them so much?

I don't like old Furd Escorts either but I sure am not a member of an Escort club, neither would I email their list to make such anecdotal claims.

I can understand a temporary doldrum over blown head gaskets ( IMHO you should have done a engine conversion like my '95 Golf engine etc). Or having to do your front bearings twice, or have the trans go out after you rebuilt the engine.

Yo- I don't get the "bad for enviroment"-not if properly tuned and maintained. Functioning properly fuel injection is very environment friendly, if there is such a thing. I have to pass emissions or I don't drive.

Certainly none of us have bashed Furd vans, have we?

But to say the Vanagon is unreliable is the fact that the one in the driveway won't run after years of abuse and neglect.

I converted my Vanagon before I ever used it, and some start at the other end with sattelite dishes and laptops. Eventually we may meet in the middle with something useful. Or stuff it all into a Furd van.

In order to make the power plant reliable, you have to change the engine in my opinion to one that is proven reliable. With my present inline-4 of six years no cooling system problems. No front end service needed. All bearings still good. Brakes perfect, just changing fluid, pads and shoes. There's a few of us around.

Oh, I did have a transmission problem after 8 years of service -broken diff housing. Got it fixed by original rebuilder who says the rest of the 4-speed trans is OK. Minor stuff-had a plastic coolant adapter break when I should have used steel-even still, it lasted ten years.

The WBX engine is another story. I have no argument with anyone that it isn't reliable. Only a few have never had problems- I think they are in the Guiness book.

My '82 runs like new. It has a '95 engine. A new five speed transmission. Oh yes, power steering and AC.

Im restoring a '89 Wolfsburg and what I'm finding is that the PO just let so many little things pile up without fixing them, and when the central locking went wacko ,he bailed out.

You may have bought such a neglected Vanagon , and without the time, money , or merchanical aptitude you bailed out too.

I have owned my Westfalia for ten years. WIth a Motronic engine same as a mid-nineties VW, It has the On-Board Diagnostics like the '98 Furd.

The only thing I don't have is airbags and ABS.

If we are all the ignorant little Vanagon people , why can't we be left alone with our ignorant bliss?

Robert

1982 Westfalia, daily driver

(With over 300,000 miles-shows I got a lot of serious travel upt to 24 mpg in my hobby inline four powered Westfalia starting at 139,000 .)

--- Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU> wrote: > There is one catch, anyone who wants to buy my van > has to agree to > acknoledge my "vanagon disclaimer" which will be > printed on the bill of > sale. You can read the disclaimer on the ad at > thesamba.com: > > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=157107 > > Andrew > > > On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 JordanVw@aol.com wrote: > > > In a message dated 3/8/05 6:19:15 PM Eastern > Standard Time, > > afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU writes: > > > > > > > Gold, Automatic, approx 175K miles. > > > > > > The Good: > > > 30K on new heads, dual propane tanks, plat cat > heater, dennis haynes > > > custom bumper/hitch, headlight relay upgrade, > dual batteries, much more... > > > > > > The Bad: > > > Rear end is sagging, minor oil leak, has had > some exterior body panel > > > repairs (a few small dents) very little rust. > > > > > > Priced for quick sale: $2000, $1600 without the > plat cat heater or less if > > > nobody takes it at this price. > > > > > > Located in Fort Collins Colorado > > > > > > Andrew Fox > > > 98 Ford Westfalia > > > > > > > at this price, im sure it wont last long... > > > > chris > > >