Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:26:30 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vngns ARE junk! Wilder's Law
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

-Larry Chase wrote:" Ticco, Subie, TDI fans ... Please "No Flames". I still feel that a trip of such proportions, where you are often in the

middle of no-where .. is best served by a stock 2.1L Waterboxer engine that is easier to get serviced."

No flames here Larry, this response is offered at room temperature. Man it's hot in here!

Serviced? Is this 1.Oil change 2.Air filter change 3.Belt adjustment

Or is it? 1. Bar's leak for head gasket 2. Water pump replacment 3. Pushrod seal replacement

Easier in that any dealer can do this?

VW shops that work on water-cooled VW can easily recognize the familiar components of a US inline four.

Most of the techs I know that work at VW don't have a problem with it.

"- If I wasn't headed off on such an extended trip I would have run the stock engine to the end or upgraded to a Tiico, Subie, or TDI."

You left out a Golf-Jetta conversion !Motronic! Hook up you lap-top to the data link connector and watch how it's doing in real time. No need to "set-up " the parameters like on the SA version or Tweako.

Far superior to the Tiico as it has US specification hardware and electronics , and a fuel injection system with on-board diagnostics if you do '93-later. A US 2.0 engine is a real tall block 2.0, not a short block 1.8 bored to 2.0 like the Tiico. The longer rods of the 2.0 lessen engine vibration.

Ah, but you figured you were going to need a lot of servicing.

A "scratch" custom conversion done right doesn't need to depend on finding shops that will be able to service it.I had to pull into a shop one time - to have them weld the muffler.

My biggest problems to date? After six years? Dirt in the tank that came from a cheapo gas station in Bakersfield and bad (carbon fiber) plug wires.

And the timing belt broke from oil contamination. That belt was four years old, and I knew about the intermediate seal leak, and ignored it. Another time the PS/WP belt broke .

And the differential housing broke in the transmission, which was repaired after I drove it 2,000 miles like that.

So what adjustment? The serpentine belt is self adjusted. One belt , the v-belt for the PS to adjust, and I haven't had to adjust it in 3 years.

With the Motronic FI, you can know what's wrong before the mechanic does -the software will interpret the error codes for you.

SO far it told me my O2 sensor was worn out. Any water-cooled VW shop can replace a 02 sensor, and it's much easier on a Vanagon than a Golf-or Jetta.

There aren't any screws to tweak, except the basic throttle body adjustment at initial set-up. From that point there is no tweaking -Motronic US tweaks itself.

SO, you would have made the best decision to have a Golf-Jetta engine installed on the Diesel platform . But it would not have worked for you as you should not drive off on a long trip with any new motor.

It needs to be "broke" in.

Usually there are adjustments and things need to be fine tuned . But the inline -four conversion is a reliable one.

Even Ken Morgan knows this, who did your Eurocars, and he even wrote a pamphlet on conversions. He doesn't do them anymore because they take a long time to do. He told me that there's more money to be made fixing WBX engines.

A lot of owners in the end just put the WBX back in as it's the fastest way out.

Tiico is fast but it has a lot of crap hardware that should be replaced before using it. The fuel rail, the ALT AC bracket, the crank pulley, map sensor's fail in cold weather, etc.

Having been a air-cooled VW only driver for 15 years, and having gone thru six engines in that time period,

I was determined to rid myself of the classic breakdowns the flat-four is famous for when I converted my Vanagon in 1995.

And I have. The last six years , the 2.0 has gone all over the US and Canada over 90,000 miles .

I don't worry about saying no leaks, no tweaks, because if it all fell apart tomorrow I would feel it deserved it after going over 160,000 miles .

I have done a lot of work on my Westfalia- like a new gas tank and five-speed transmission and exhaust system. The breather hose broke and it's time to replace the serpentine belt after six years. Engine stuff wears out- but new motors these days should at least get you 1-150,000 miles. But the work is spread out of ten years, not ten months.

Any time you are in the NW Larry you can take it for drive. That's goes for anyone who is interested.

Robert 1982 Westfalia

I should note here that Jerry at Northwest Connecting Rod takes credit for part my conversion by servicing the head and flywheel before installation. I highly recommend this machine shop if you are doing your own conversion in the Seattle area. Without his help, I would'nt have this great reliable engine. Do it right, have the head reconditioned /rebuilt and have the bottom end checked out , before you bolt it back together.