Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:41:14 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vngns ARE junk! Wilder's Law
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

If you buy a wheel bearing that has package markings of "Made In Germany" it could have the roller bearings made in Germany and both races made in Poland. As long as the roller bearing was 51% of the value it could legally marked Made In Germany. There are lots of rules involving Customs and Imports that allow for as little as 35% of the value to qualify for "Made In" XX marking. Even though several Asian car companies produce cars in America they just have to take, Lights, Gas, Water, Rent, Labor, Insurance, Depreciation, Warranty Replacement Costs, Advertising, Legal Expense, Employee Benefits, Administration and Management along with a few other items and in reality not have a single hard part made in the US if these cost are equal to 51% of the cost in building a car and still qualify as Made in America tag on their car. The made in Mexico VWs were about like that ............ Just assembled there with parts coming mostly from the South American and Eastern Block countries. I noticed today that my neighbor was throwing away what looked like a full bedroom suit with a computer work station, a couple of book cases and several small chests. Turns out that the stuff was all particle board with basic contact paper covering and as such was in reality "Disposable Furniture" since it had no value after it was used for a short time. I find lots of BMWs, Jags, Audi in wrecking yards that have great bodies but the transmissions fail, a $4000.00 repair job just totals the car and they then become disposable. We're living in a world that has more disposables each cycle of the industrial / technological revolution. TVs are now disposable even if they work good because a new 19" Remote can be bought for as little as $79.00 with a no name decal made in China. Consider the Sony Walk man ......... Classic antique when next to the i-Pod. Yours may work great but it's disposable.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Chase" <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:19 AM Subject: Re: Vngns ARE junk! Wilder's Law

Benny, Mark & Greg;

I found a lot to agree with on all three perspectives.

But volks ... Remember these three amigos are some of the most mechanically knowledgeable people in our community.

Perhaps not everyone has the ability to fashion a Alternator Bracket out of scrap metal and bubble gum like Ben did for me In Florida :)

For a point of view from a "Vanagon Maintence for Dummies" persepctive, Here'a my comments;

1) Original Engine ... Ran OK but was a little tired (160K miles).

In retrospect I should have replaced it with a stock 2.1 Boston Engine or North West Connecting Rod engine.

* Benny Boy you are right on.

- Ticco, Subie, TDI fans ... Please "No Flames". I still feel that a trip of such proportions, where you are often in the middle of no-where .. is best served by a stock 2.1L Waterboxer engine that is easier to get serviced.

- If I wasn't headed off on such an extended trip I would have run the stock engine to the end or upgraded to a Tiico, Subie, or TDI.

Footnote .....

I've spent most of my career working in High Tech Manufacturing. In those environments if a machine goes done it can cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more in revenue loss. One of the keys to minimizing "unplanned down time" is "preventative maintence". You try and understand the "Mean time to Fail" on all critical components. You then put a plan in place to replace those critical components just before the fail.

2) Wheel Bearings ... Went thru several sets of bearings on the right rear wheel. Turned out to be a "out of round" Situation with the stub axle. Took and old air-cooled VW mechanic to finally diagnosis it.

3) Quality of spare parts ... I remember many ago Nader used to rant about this. His claim was exactly the same ... He felt parts manufactures sorted parts into three quality categories.

- Best , new car build - Middle, Dealer spare parts - Lowest, third party parts houses.

Can't prove it, but over the years it sure seems to be that way to me.

So depending on whether a person is planning on heading out for a 60k driveabout or staying closer to home base ... I think all these points of view are worth considering.

As I have said many times ... If I factor engine issues out the analysis of my trip ... There were really very few breakdowns.

I firmly believe "Preventive Maintenance" was the right approach for such a long trip by someone with very limited mechanical ability and with a goal not to carry large numbers of spare parts.

But then ... I'm an idiot ... What do I know :)

larry chase Roadhaus.com

- - -

From: Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

Hi Mark, What your email is telling me is that the original parts are much higher quality than most of what's available in the aftermarket. <<<<< Clipped

Mark drillock wrote:

I'm not sure he needed a new engine in the first place. Why was it done? There were other breakdowns that occurred all too soon after he had replaced parts. Wheel bearings come to mind. <<< Clipped

Benny boy wrote:

He did one thing wrong, and he knows about it! Wrong choice of engine....but look now, he as an broken AVP after 9k miles... <<<< Clipped

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.2 - Release Date: 3/11/2005