Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:12:12 -0500
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Engine swap - I4 - which angle, motor and FI?
Comments: To: Tom Altman <tom@ALTMANVILLE.COM>

Tom

zip okay i have my flame proof trousers on :). on to your question, there are as you have noted two camps on the engine angle issue. truly there are three angles that you can mount an inline four into a vanagon at, they are 0, 15, and 51 degrees. a KEP adapter allows you to mount at all these angles where as a factory diesel set up is strictly 51 degrees.

in my opinion the angle is all about what you want out of life. sit down and consider or write out what you want from your conversion before trying to decide what angle you want. here are some of the considerations i would suggest.

cost of conversion parts cost of replacement parts value of having engine under the engine lid ease of installation resale value of the van value of ground clearance age of conversion parts availability of conversion parts

coming to terms with some of these and perhaps other issues will steer you towards which angle is best for you. okay here is my personal conversion story. after tearing apart and measuring 3 1.9 wasserboxers i decided that engine was more trouble than it was worth for ME. so then i started considering conversion. this was way back in about 1997 when the whole conversion thing was just starting to get off the ground for the most part; these are the days before tiico. i toyed with the idea of the diesel mounting conversion for a while but in the end decided against it. the driving force for me in my conversion was simplicity, long term parts availability, smoothness, and economical considerations.

let me also say that up until this point i had previously had quite a lot of positive experience with the inline 4 and already had all the tooling to work on the inline 4. in addition to that i had fabrication experience, machine building experience, and machine wiring experience as well as many hours of wrenching on golfs, sciroccos, and foxes. that wrenching experience gave me a guide as to what inline 4 parts to use in my own build up.

the synopsis is that i built a 15 degree conversion with maximum ground clearance, a raised engine lid and common off the shelf inline 4 parts. i did fabricate a lot of the hard parts such as engine mounting bar, coolant bottle mounts, heat shield, air box brackets, intake piping, downpipe, 1 exhaust pipe, and half a exhaust mount. all the rest are off the shelf golf or vanagon parts. this is so that if wearable a part ever goes you go in the parts store and tell them i need a golf or vanagon part and bolt it on, no adaptations needed. the hard parts once built and tested will most likely never need to be replaced or revisited.

while the raised lid seems to be a turn off for most people on the list its never been a problem for me. i don't have a camper but even with a camper the raised lid doesn't have to be a problem. you can either purchase german parts to raise the bed in the bed position or make your own. i have yet to cross this bridge but i plan to this summer, currently i have a custom built bed in my van. to obtain maximum ground clearance at 15 degrees i ended up with a raised cover of about 5.5 inches. that is more than any other i have seen. most people drop the engine a bit to lessen the cover height but loose ground clearance in the process.

as for injection just use what was original to the engine digifant and motronic are really fairly similar systems. the CIS system is a bit more complex but doable, just more piping involved. i run digifant II because thats what came with my engine.

jonathan