Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:05 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      fuel tank removal story

I did the fuel tank removal and replacement today in order to correct the gas drips and smell when filling the tank. Having taken the tank out, I think what was leaking was the old fuel line material. The small diameter stuff that goes to the expansion tanks. I hear about re-doing these fuel lines without removing the tank. I can see how you could replace the ones that attach to the bigger crossover piece, and the 3 grommets, but I don't think you could replace the 2 pieces that connect to the metal overflow tubes attached to the tank.

I had driven my fuel down very low. I thought I was clever in gaining control over the fuel pump to help me with the tank draining process. I read the procedure for testing the output of the fuel pump. It has you remove the right hand relay in the box above the coil. (this is a 2.1 liter engine, 86 vanagon). Then it has you jumper the 2 center contacts (top and bottom) in the relay socket to run the FP. I remember this winter one of our listees got a gasoline shower by not considering the residual pressure in the system when he cracked a hose. So first thing I did was pull that relay. Turned ignition on, no fuel pump humming. Started the engine, it ran for a surprising amount of time on residual pressure. Maybe 15-20 seconds. OK, next I removed the hose after the fuel pump, which I was going to replace anyway. Only a few drops of fuel came out. Hooked a length of fuel hose to it and put the other end in a clean gas can. went back and jumped the contacts in the relay socket as specified. Fuel pump went to work and emptied the tank for me. Probably only a gallon or so, so it didn't take long. Note that when you jumper this thing, the fuel pump runs regardless of the key being turned in the ignition switch.

I followed the tank removal instructions in the Bentley, and some good instructions Ken W posted some time ago. It was pretty straightforward. While I had the tank out, I sloshed the remaining gas around in it and then dumped out. I am curious what the internal anatomy of the tank is, especially related to the outlet and return fittings. Where do they go? I lean the tank in their direction but nothing comes out of them. I go to dump the gas out of the fill hole, and it spills out of the outlet and runs down my leg! I don't think I ever got any to come out of the return opening. I also cleaned the outside of the tank which had a lot of dirt on it. I have found this same dirt in large quantities all under the van. It apparently went on quite an off road adventure with a PO.

Putting the tank back in was harder than taking it out as usual. that crossover pipe has to be in place under the van and then hooked up after the tank is almost in place. I put the grommets in the tank first as Ken recommended and this is a good idea. I also used a little grease on them so the fittings would slide in. There is really no room to get the leverage to push them in. I had the great idea that as I put on all my hose clamps, I would cut off the excess "tail." This left sharp edges that menaced me as I reached around under there, so don't do that. I also put the crossover pipe fitting in the wrong grommet on the passenger side and had to pull it back out. I should have checked which one it was, or at least looked at the photo in the manual, duh.

So I put my gallon of rescued gas back in the tank and decided to use the jumper relay trick to get the gas flowing back through the rest of the fuel system. I hook up my wire and hear a strange trickling sound. Forgot the hook the new hose from the filter back to the fuel like running to the engine! OK, it's getting late, I'm getting tired, my fingers are sore. Fix that last problem, get the van off the ramps, and go to the nearest gas station. I fill up the tank nice and full and revel in the lack of dripping gasoline! No gas smell either! One more pesky job off the list, and the van is one more step closer to the way I would like it to be.

Edward