Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:05:39 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" Wheel/Tire Report - Caution
Comments: cc: vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET

Robert,

Note sure what vehicle you put these on ... But if it's a Westy I have a concern.

Please forgive me but I have to caution folks on the use of the Michelin HydroEdge (215/65-15) tire on a Westy Vanagon.

This is a passenger car tire that "MICHELIN DOES NOT RECOMMEND" for a VW Vanagon Westy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin/michelin.jsp

The generally agreed upon specs for a proper Westy tire are:

Load Index - 97 (1609-1652 lbs)

This tire has a:

Load Index - 95 (1521 lbs)

http://tinyurl.com/557gq

Also .... Passenger car tire specs need to be "derated" by 10% for use on a Light Truck application.

This is an industry standard.

That would reduce the load Index rating of this tire to: 1369 lbs.

Under perfect conditions this tire will ride and handle fine ... Because of its low profile, often a huge improvement if the previous tires were also passenger car tires.

But the danger is that there is "No Margin For Safety".

I know that GoWesty feels these tire are appropriate ....

They have a detial explanation on their web site that is very impressive. But if the Manufacturing of the tire will not warranty it for this application ... What does that tell you?

Does GoWesty know more than the tire manufacturer?

I'd really hate to see anyone put themselves or anyone else at risk.

larry chase roadhaus.com

- - -

Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:51:37 -0500 From: Robert Campbell <vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET> Subject: 15" Wheel/Tire Report

Hello Gang!

I pulled the trigger and purchased the 15" alloy wheel/tire set from GoWesty.com -- after about 50 miles on this simple (but not cheap) bolt-o= n upgrade I gotta tell you that it is GREAT!

Going from the 185 to a 215 tire width is a tremendous improvement in stability. And the Michelin HydroEdge=E2=84=A2 (215/65-15) are quiet and= provide a nice ride! I notice a major improvement in the shimmy/shake from the win= d turbulence when following a tractor-trailer, nearly gone! And cornering = feels much better now -- I don't notice the "lean" as much.

So, if you need tires, I would STRONGLY recommend the 15" wheel upgrade a= nd good tires. I believe I will be very happy with the hydroedge tires as I= live in Florida where I deal only with water on the roadways.

The process in dealing with GoWesty.com was very smooth and I whole-heart= edly recommend them for your Vanagon needs! UPS delivered my wheels (over 2 d= ays) and I installed them yesterday. The best $1000 spent to date on my daily=

driver!

<end report>