Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:34:59 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Life after speedometer, why do they break? -PLASTIC ROT
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>

We're talking about 2 different things here: The odometer totally not working- usually because the black drive gear is broken and turning on its shaft. And, The trip meter not resetting. I'd have to agree, having addressed both problems in my earlier Vanagons, neither seems to have been caused by resetting on the fly. (And , Sam, clutch in or out should make no difference. The speedo is driven by the front wheel. The speedo doesn't know if there even IS a tranny.) BOTH seem to be caused by plastic degradation. The trip meter on my 82 wouldn't reset because the speedo assembly was moving forward when I pushed the button. I think I changed out the whold cluster for a less deteriorated one. This hole damn plastic rot thing bothers me. Not so much for the Vanagon, but rather to keep me from getting any newer car. Newer cars, as you may know, approach 99% plastic. :<) If you view you vehicle as a lifetime investment, better get an old one! I suspect that the WholeThing of Plastic ROT may be affected by climate, possibly high summertime temps or possibly ozone or some other factor. Do northern cars have less trouble than southern ones? JOEL! time for a poll! Possibly chart it by maximum high ambient temps? Al Brase