Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2005 03:21:50 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Vngns ARE junk! Re: '86 full Westy for sale...$2000...

Anyone has to agree with Andrew. Vanagons are junk, I mean c'mon!

In fact he understated it. Not reliable? I should say they're not. Hard to find parts for? Try impossible. If the VW dealer has a part it astronomically priced. Mostly the VW dealer doesn't have the parts so you have to hunt and hunt and mail order if you're lucky. Doesn't anybody have to get to work on MONDAY. Not if you're waiting for your Vanagon parts.

Hard to find people to work on a Vanagon, you say? I say impossible. And if you do find someone it's because they're so darn dumb they bust about every piece of the bus they touch. More money. More headaches. And no matter who works on it or what they do, three days after you get it home the heads start leaking, and the idle starts hunting, and the engine starts cutting out intermitently, the rear starts to sag, the front starts to lean, the sliding door handle breaks off, the power window won't shut, the hub cap flies off, the muffler strap breaks (NLA), the 700 miles of coolant hose start to weep, the odometer stops, the heater fan siezes, the transmission starts to whine, and that's all nothing compaired to the whining of your family wondering why you, a reasonably intelligent person, insist on owning this sink hole of money and time.

And then horrible gas mileage? Yeah. The worst. And have you noticed the price of Gasoline these days. And once you pay for the fuel it starts to seep out the labryth of hoses over the poorly designed gas tank--right under the driver and passenger!!!

Which leads to safety. Yes! Unsafe! The Covair laughs at the Vanagon!!!! And not just the position of the gas tank. (Don't even get me started on the time I saw a Vanagon rear end a Pinto!!!!!) But "German" engineering resulting in roll over, long stopping distance, poor acceleration--all these add up to UNSAFE! I knew a guy who was seriously injured in his Vanagon just by hearing a traffic report on the radio of an overturned vehicle in a neighboring state!!! Honestly, he's lucky he's alive.

Safe? What a laugh.

And as if we're not all responsible for the environment some of you have to say "the heck with the environment" and go buy a Vanagon. Greenpeace has called the Vanagon the vehicle of choice for those who felt their Hummers just weren't doing enough to assure the demise of the planet.

And like Andrew said, if you're serious about either transportation or travel, this ain't the vehicle for you. Unless you love travelling in the passenger seat of a tow truck on a good day, or, on a bad day watching your stuck Vanagon disappear in the distance as you get farther away from it in riding in the bed of a 1958 Chevrolet pick up piloted by a kindly old sole travelling on Route 40 outside Oklahoma City on his way to drop the chickens that are now beside you in the truck bed at the "local" market 116 miles down the road where you'll also find the only telephone for 400 miles. And, just your luck, that telephone is busted, and it's Labor Day anyway. Now what about work on Monday?

The worst of the Vanagons by far in the low-mileage 1991 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia with SA alloy wheels, SA big brake kit, and a plat cat heater. This is know world-wide a the most unreliable, gas gusseling, unsafe at any speed, environment killing, nobody will work on, can't ever find parts for, non-transprotation, non-travelling piece of Junk!!!

If you've got one of the worst, the 1991 Syncro Westfalia, I've got $2,000 right here to take it off your hands and solve the problems you're having, have had, will have, should have, might have, could have, would have, and even won't have--the latter being the most insideous.

Junk I tell you. Just junk. Get out while you can. Take my offer.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA