Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:15:54 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      ON PLASTIC ROT
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>

On plastic rot.

The plastic creators keep improving their product. Cars from the 60s where the first to start using large amounts of plastic, and it has gotten so that more and more plastic is incorporated into subsequent model years. Early plastic was not designed (and couldn't tolerate) UV and high temperatures. As real world experience as progressed, the plastics have gotten better. The Vanagon's date from the 80's (mostly). So the plastic lasting 20 years (or so), is quite reasonable (from a manufacturers position). Life expectancy of a car being 10 years more or less.

This reminds me of a tale I heard regarding Russian planes in World War II. The russians did an analysis which indicated that their planes only last a couple of weeks in combat. So they designed them to only last about twice that long, figuring they'd get shot down before they fell apart. Probably a myth, but the point is, Most makers have to make a lot of trade-offs in manufacture. Some of the trade-offs are durability versus expense. If something is "good enough" for the expected life expectancy, then they'll likely use that, rather than some more expensive item that will last forever. Brass over stainless steel. Rivets, versus screws. Plastic versus metal or wood.

You each make that same choice on every repair, most likely. Junkyard part versus new from dealer. Why blame the maker? I'm just thrilled that my Vanagon works as well as it does, 20 years after it was made, and that parts (mostly) are still available, and alternatives (engines) are available.