Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:50:52 -0500
From:         Robert Campbell <vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET>
Subject:      15" Wheel/Tire Report - Caution

Wow, what a discussion -- but that's what we are here for.... But tires always seem to bring out a debate don't they :-)

Thanks for the info everyone, and I've put these wheels and tires on a CARAT (non-camper) which is 3800 pounds (as per the local dump scale) with me in it! So, I feel pretty safe with this combo. I do prefer, however, the reinforced sidewall for anything with this much weight, but I think this setup is fine for my application. AND, since GoWesty is "pushing" this setup for the heavier Westy's out there, I feel even better. By the way, I replaced the Yokohama Y356 from tirerack.com with this setup. Those tires were good, but the narrow width of these tires doesn't add the ride of the Vanagon. I see that BusDepot.com is offering a wider (195) 14" tire, but they won't have the wider (I think 205 or 215) until late in the year or next year -- this is what I was told on the phone.

In the two+ years that I have been driving my '91 Carat (every single day), I've not expierenced any issues with the tires --- except that with 185's on the van would "wobble in the wind" behind tractor-trailers and it feels like it would lean more when doing corners (as compared to my new 215's). Now, you could say I'm a novice Vanagon driver, but since I'm in my machine daily I've gotten quite a few hours behind the wheel now.

This setup looks good, and you have many more options with a 15" wheel (the wheels cost $550 from GoWesty.com). I love the look and the ride. If I experience any issues I'll let the list know.

-Robert '91 Carat, Automatic, 158K Original Engine (but NEW wheels/tires! :-)