Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:43:12 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Had surging, fixed it, but did I just bandaid it?
Comments: To: Nate Saylor <nates@IMPULSE.NET>

The way I've always corrected the surging idle on 1.9 engines is to unplug the wires from the idle stabilizer, plug the wires together (bypass the stabilizer), adjust the big flathead screw on the throttle body for correct idle speed, then reconnect the idle stabilizer.

Works for me ... assuming all other items (vacuum hoses and such) are up to snuff.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass '85 GL Westy

Nate Saylor wrote: > So here's the deal. I bought my '84 Westy about a month ago with a > blown headgasket (at least that's what they said). Went ahead and tore > it down replaced heads etc. Before doing the job my idle was steady but > it REALLY hesitated from a stop (like 4-5 seconds) before power kicked > in. After putting on the heads my power problem is gone, but my idle > started to surge pretty bad shortly after it would start up. After a > day of driving with it I got pissed and started to adjust the idle screw > (big flathead guy). When I turned it 1 1/2 turns clockwise (is that > richer or leaner?) my idle settled down and seems to be fine. My > question is, did I truly fix the problem, or did I just adjust one thing > to compensate for another problem? Previous owners kept spotty records, > but the shop they took it to when they needed service is good. > > Other clues: > I replaced the O2 sensor with the heads > replaced the thermostat (BTW has anyone ever seen a thermostat come out > in 2 pieces before... Mine did) > replaced all of the old nasty fraying vacuum hoses (any chance that by > fixing these it threw off the mixture?) > Valves are adjusted to .006 for the initial run in (had some soft > lifters after putting the heads on) > When I had it smogged before the new heads the tech adjusted the idle > (but I think it was just speed) > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated (I've checked the archives in > depth but have not yet found a clear enough answer). > > -Nate > '84 Westy (lovin' it more every day) >