Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:39:39 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: head update (still bad) and a question and voting
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Thanks Ken,

I agree, NOW!!! I don't know if I would have agreed with you if I hadn't done it myself. The other side, in my mind, the **workmanship** is suspect. Looking into the exhaust port that piece around the valve stem is not in the same place. On one side that piece is up and the other side is down by the valve. I have the head in the shop right now and I told them to fix it if it is an easy fix. If not I'll send it back.

But on the bright side it only takes me 1.5 hrs to get the head off. The first try was about 6 hrs, second was 3.5 hrs....

Jere

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Wilford [mailto:kenwilfy@comcast.net] Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 6:07 AM To: Jere Hawn Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: head update (still bad) and a question and voting

Never, never, never use rebuilt heads! That is all I can say. I am not

getting on you for trying to save a couple of bucks, however do you see the reason why I advise you to never use rebuilt heads?

They are junk, and they are not a "good deal". This is one of those jobs that if you do it right the first time you should not have to do it

again for several years, if ever(depending on your length of ownership). I think if a person of average ability mechanically speaking uses the Bentley and takes thier time they will do it right the

first time as long as they use quality parts putting it back together. The problem most first timers have is that they try to cut corners and save a few bucks (which is admirable) however they are cutting corners that those of us who have done tons of these jobs would never cut.

Here is how rebuilt heads are not a good deal. Rebuilt heads are $219 plus a $50 core charge (from a vendor who sells them). If your old heads have cracks between the valves you can kiss your core charge good bye. If your heads didn't have cracks why would you replace them? Anyway, so you are looking at $269 for someone else's junk head that has

been rewelded. Or you could spend a little more than $100 more and get a brand new head, made of a better alloy that doesn't corrode and a thicker casting that doesn't crack as easily. And you could do this job

one time and then enjoy driving your van (instead of looking up at the motor while laying on your back under the van, and getting that last little drip of coolant right in the eye- you know what I mean!).

OK, that's my rambling for the morning.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com