Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:02:10 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 full Westy for sale...$2000... / Truth Hurts
Comments: To: afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU

In a message dated 3/9/05 11:32:01 AM, afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU writes:

<< i just dont want to sell this vanagon thing to unsuspecting regular people without letting them know the truth and i think all of you should be more forthcoming in expressing what vanagons are really about to everyday people. >>

Diogenes, blow out the light! Andrew, I have to commend you for your brutal honesty. Straight talk without a bunch of provisos has become a rare commodity for sure.

The truth: a Vanagon is a neat, utilitarian platform of just the right size, beyond that, it sucks. I pity the poor naif who comes to a Vanagon with less than my ample and varied skills; he is in for an expensive and rude awakening, not to mention sending time riding shotgun in a rollback.

My only excuse is that I was trying to please my sweet wife who wanted a sunroof Vanagon. I can forgive her for she is 11 years my junior so, as an adolescent, she had these ridiculous images of ridiculous, dilettante hippies and of the Partridge Family impressed onto her young mind by Madison Avenue.

Within a month of the purchase of that first van, I was into the exhaust system and coolant system in a big way, and it was only a five year old vehicle at the time. And then Winter stopped by for his annual visit. That was when the thought of a Syncro first entered my pea-sized brain.

I, as any Vanagon owner with some time in the saddle, could fill volumes with war stories and in most of them I kept thinking there was something wrong with me -- that I (! ! !) had failed the Vanagon. While Freud might have a field day exploring the convolutions of my mind, lucidity and reason has returned.

Although I loathe the style of the alternatives to a Vanagon, like a Vanagon they are merely an appliance and, unlike a Vanagon, they hum along doing their thing day after day with no fuss or muss.

Thanks, Andrew, you're a man among day dreamers.

George