Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:24:10 -0800
From:   Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:   Re: '83 fan removal / header removal
Comments:   To: Mike Jeffrey <buddha@GMAIL.COM>

Engine in or out of the vehicle?

It sounds like you're dealing with a California vehicle if the left side header is separate from the heat exchanger. So, if the engine's still in the vehicle (best case) get a fairly stout dowel and slide it INTO the header. You don't use the dowel just as a big lever to try and rip the header from the head, but you use it as a lever to get a little movement - up and down - on the header while also pulling straight down from below. You jiggle a little, pull, jiggle a little more, pull, and so forth. Having a friend to help here is very beneficial. (A friend that'll help is one of the best tools you can have.) If the engine's out of the vehicle and just sitting on a dolly or block the drill is the same, though you end up rocking the entire block and also can't get as good of a downward "pull."

As far as removing the fan goes, a friend who'll help is, again, very beneficial. I've had my wife grab the flywheel (engine out, 'natch) with thick gloves while I wrench on the bolts. She can't really hold the flywheel against my torque but it's sufficient resistance that I usually can get the bolts started reversing. Using a ratchet and then hitting the handle of the ratchet with a sharp blow will usually "shock" the bolt enough to turn a bit, even if she can't hold the flywheel entirely still. However, I now use a flywheel lock (~$10 tool) for this exercise. --------------------------------------------------- Tom Young Lafayette, CA 94549 --------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Jeffrey" <buddha@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:44 PM Subject: '83 fan removal / header removal