Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:38:35 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: I win!!! the worse ever "westy part" picture...
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Hey Robert, about 35 to 40 hours..of hard work, i have to admit.. at 25$hr (my last job ever at that price, am now at 35$hr)

Let me explain, this is a very nice 86 Syncro, body and interior are near perfect... the owner lives in San Francisco, but he is from Montreal, the van as been sitting outside for 3.5 years, the rust comme from moisture / humidity more than the snow or salt itself... VW and Mazda when it come to engine rust... Now, that said, the original engine is done, finish, kappoot (max compression 75psi), broken head, too much rust... So we found another good engine, a reman with only 40k on it, but again, this engine (the second one) as been sitting inside and outside for years.. but it is way less rusty....and someone filled this one up with fresh oil before, the injection is the worse part...so, i split open both engine, i took the best of everything out of those 2 (but mostly from the second one), i did check/measure everything carefully...(pistons, sleeve, rings, heads, valves, seat....bla bla bla)....so that said, after about 40hours, we should have a verry good 2.1L (about 1000$ CAD / 800USD of labor time), not many parts where needed to built back that engine... so, for about 1500$ CAD, this guy should have a good/clean/original/inspected/sealed running engine + new starter, alternator, clutch. To your question, about 100$ of tools(wire brush), liquid (Brake cleaner, solvant, degreaser), cleanner where needed..on top, my shop is a mess, he he he, and i forgot, we did use a NEW tarp to work on it...finish...

About your second question...oil treatment is the solution, yes, engine are being treated also....but, this guys didn't!!! The engine i removed from this van was the original engine, original everything...even the fuel hose...it's a true 20 years old engine... so, not so bad after all...

Of course i didn't use that part: http://www.benplace.com/syncro/syncro74.jpg I was just amaze by the poor condition of this one!!!!

Ben http://www.benplace.com/vanagon_engine5.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: How many billable hours involved in that anchor, at how much per hour? What was the total bill w/parts, etc. (if you're okay with telling, of course)? Speaking of anchors, nobody ever weighed in on my question about whether or not it would be worth it for y'all northern glacier dwellers to ceramic coat (or whatever) your engines to keep 'em from getting that way.

Cya, Robert