Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:53:13 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: I win!!! the worse ever "westy part" picture...
Comments: To: Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>

Dennis, I think you are quite right about this.

"Heat Ejection"

It's a big issue on these WBX engines, as well as the air cooled ones. Anything that is done that retains heat is an engine killer. I think if you really look closely at a WBX you can see many things that were done to help get rid of the heat. I think the exhaust system with it's thin material is an example. That relatively thin tubing gets rid of heat better than thicker, longer lasting materials. If the vehicle is moving down the road at a good clip, then that thin tubing sticking out directly into the air with all the road induced air turbulance swirling around the pipes is the best for heat ejection there is. However, if you are stuck in rush hour traffic on the freeway the thin tubing ejecting the heat helps to cook the engine and every thing in the engine compartment. One might sacrifice the tubing by insulating it to retain the heat until the exhaust can move it on out to the end of the tail pipe, but the life of the tubing will be shortened, as will the cat and the muffler.

It's a trade-off.

Ceramic coating of other parts, or insulating them, may have similar effects. But always, it's a trade-off on the heat migration.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver