Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:49:56 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      85 westy water pump replacement w/ a/c and power steering-----
              done

Hello all, Yes, I've finished the job. If the estimate for replacing a waterpump, ect on this vehicle is $550-600, I worked at the rate of about$12 per hour.I have spent the last week rehabing from the experience.No leaks! I used JB weld to fill in the places where the old pump ate into my block.First, I cleaned the places w/ sandpaper and mineral spirits. Next, I prepared the weld(squeeze squeeze) and applied a bit more than necessary(push, push). I paid most attention to pressing the weld for good adheasion.The key was to use a full size file to flatten the oversized weld .One can use the edges that the waterpummp bolts to (about a 5 inch circle)as a guide for the file When the file stops cutting, job done.. No aluminum was removed-perfect weld match to old aluminum.JB weld keeps me on the road! The basic instructions that I downloaded (Tom Carrington) was for a non accessorised vanagon(completely different animal).These instructions encoureged me to proceed, however, I quickly found myself overmatched by german engineers(once again).There are no fewer than 6582 plumming connections that must all be dealt with. Spring clamps, o-rings,hose clamps, gasket materials, the waterpump itself,ect.By time one finishes this repair, you can laugh at any repair that a petroleum cracking plant may need.Sneer at a torpedo hole in the hull.Scoff at anything Rube Goldberg can throw at you.I AM NOW A PLUMMER! For me the essential difference between instructions and practice were that the thermistat housing must be installed after the watrerpump proper is installed.Powersteering prevents the upper coolant pipe from being totally removed.A/c comperssor must come off(get those grounding wires clean)..Distributor came off because upper coolant pipe was in the way for access to a waterpump bolt.It was that or remove the powersteering and it's mounting flange. I found some cooked and cracked wires that needed fixing.Cleaned and lubed each pump stud for easy replacement.All 6 coolant pipe bolts (hex head and 13mm) went in first time! No sweat here.I am now a Rembrant w/ he RTV tube. Masterfull strokes w/ the tube held back all leaks.tOnce again ,the vanagon has provided me w/ substantial opportunity to learn how to replace bolts where there is no room.Once the waterpump is installed , the long through bolts draw the thermistat housing to the proper o-ring(upper coolant tube)seating w/ the aid of a torque wrench. My o-ring on the upper coolant tube(evil fixture) looked like the surface of the moon.RTV grey coating patch it up right,and dont say I didnt warn you. Sally got married to a rock musician she met in California(maybe I havent fully recovered yet).Anti sieze compound was used by the bucketful on everything from bolts and all hose connections, to painting my face and everything else withihn 12 feet.Next time is see a vanagon that needs a water pump , I' gonna runnnnn.Thanks for holding my hand and letting me ventilate during this process.Roger