Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:49:03 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best way to clean engine?

Common sense required beyond this point:

I get asked to pressure wash engines/undercarriages all the time but I rarely ever do it any more due to EPA restrictions and the like. However, when I do 'em, I do them like so (these are my suggestions, YMMV, use at your own risk):

Disconnect the battery and pull the alternator completely (or I should say I have the owner do it). Label and pull the plug wires and bag the distributor and coil. Label and pull the belts. Examine all the electrical connections in the work area. Label and pull electrical connectors that can't be readily dried (generally female ends and such), put the ends into baggies and tape them tightly. Clean and seal inline connections. Cover/wrap the oil filler and dipstick, as well as the tranny fluid filler/dipstick if you have an auto. Make sure your air intake system is tight tight tight. Clean these surfaces by hand so that your tape will stick (you can use shipping tape or duct tape, it doesn't have to live long). You can use a heavy kitchen plastic wrap (easier to get into tight places than painter's plastic, for instance) and tape up the end points.

Make sure any other points of entry into the engine itself (vacuum connections, etc.) are tight. Generally use common sense about any potential breach and seal it. Make sure the reservoir caps are tight and whole.

Check the firewall for openings, check the areas where hoses/wire harnesses pass through. Seal what needs to be sealed. Check out the layout around the computer, if you don't like what you see, pull it. Better safe than sorry.

You can pretty effectively 'tent' the rear of the Vgon at the hatch opening. You might want to drape your interior in case you get too enthusiastic and blow your tent to hell. It happens.

You don't have to use 'Gunk' or 'Canned Steam' or the like necessarily, but it works. I haven't found Simple Green to be very effective on petroleum applications. You want to be careful not to use a caustic or anything else that will adversely interact with your engine rubber/gaskets/hoses. Some people put Dawn or the like in a spray bottle and use that. Read the label.

BTW, start with a cold engine. You could help yourself by putting the van on jack stands and pulling the rear tires, but that's up to you. I'd probably go ahead and clean the whole undercarriage while I was at it, but that's me.

Use a low pressure tight pattern; fifteen degrees is good. You don't need ass-kickin' pressure to do the job (in most cases, I use have to use high pressure on heavy construction equipment, for instance) and you shouldn't need to get in to close (closer = higher pressure). Work from the center towards and off the edge of the work at an angle. Don't 'stab' the work with the spray, you want to be particularly careful about driving water and crap into joints, under gaskets, etc. To be thorough, consider each angle; work from the rear up to about the 'front' of the heads, then turn around; when underneath, work primarily from the front of the engine/tranny toward the rear bumper, you don't want to blow all that crap up into the rest of your undercarriage (remember, the general principle here is to clean from the center out). For that matter, if you're good (and careful), you could move your plastic aside a bit and hit the inside rear of the compartment from over the back seat. Don't get heavy around the CV joints/boots. Use controlled, directed bursts, don't just wave the thing all around hoping to hit something.

Think about what is 'down range' (behind or beside your vehicle); your kid's bike, the neighbor's dog, your wife's car will not benefit from the overspray. Don't get it into your grass/shrubbery. Don't let it drain down the street. Have somebody pick it up in a wet vac.

If you're using a home-type pressure washer, be aware that in most cases the pumps are not designed to have hot water run through them; it usually says in the manual that they're only good for 140 degrees or thereabouts and you can void the warranty if you use hot water. Most home water heaters are set lower than that, so you may be able to get away with some heat, keeping in mind that the pump itself generates some heat. Again, unless you have a very heavy buildup, you don't need to bomb it, it should clean up fairly readily.

Dry/detail by hand for the best results. Don't leave standing water.

Have a beer.

There may be things particular to Vanagons (pull the engine tin) that others may be aware of, as you said. I dimly remember something about the O2 sensor or maybe the various sensors in general- others can chime in there.

I think that's all of it. Hope that helps.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "vze1zbyi@verizon.net" <briwasson@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:34 PM Subject: Best way to clean engine?