Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:43:35 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: plan for oil pressure gauge install- opinions wtd
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

Matt, Even the VDO single pole sensors will not fit between the pushrod tubes. I would use the 2 pole connected to the low pressure port between the push rods as that is the end of the line. Clogged filters etc. will show here. My solution back in 1988 was a 10mm adapter and steel brake tube going up the the top of the engine with the sender clamped to the intake manifold. Now at 223K, I have yet to have a problem with it and the steel tube or clamp make for a good ground connection for the gauge to work right.

As for the functioning of the stock system, it will advise of failures related to excessive oil temps, wrong viscosity, etc. I do agree that a gauge is the way to go. Just as important as oil pressure, consider oil temperature. This way, you will know why the pressure is dropping.

Dennis