Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:21:39 -0700
From:         Adrian <adrian.bertarelli@DIRECWAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" wheels -  16
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>

Hello all I usually stay away from tire threads because everyone has there own thoughts on what is acceptable for them. I wanted to share what I have on my syncro and what I am happy with. I bought a set of 4 GoWesty 16 inch wheels. They are older Mercedes replicas but even though the offset is not perfect they have held up very well. I use them off road and I have taken some nasty hits on them and they have only scratched. I am running BFG all Terrain TA 225/75/16. I have used them on all my pickups and have run through two sets of them on the van. They have awesome traction and they look and function great on and off road. To run these tires I had to trim the bottom of the front wheel wells,(front and back) and trim the mud flaps a little two. In the rear of the van the tires barely clear the trailing arms but they do. I am running OME shocks and a lift kit from fastforward. I have 60,000 miles on this setup and it has been great. My van changed from night to day handling wise when I did this upgrade. I deal with the stock gearing for now and have just accepted that when in a bus, they all go slow. I want to do a conversion at some point and maybe will re-gear after that. I know that people always talk about the offset of these wheels and I believe that the BFG tires may not be rated correctly(I know have the KO's which I think have a better sidewall?) but this setup has worked great for me with no issues. I admit I originally did it for looks on my bus but I have functionally used this setup and thought I would pass this info on. There are a lot of people on this list that are incredibly knowledgeable and they contribute a great deal to this community but sometimes these people can drown you in a wealth of knowledge that scares people off. In a perfect world you would go with only the correct specs for every part of the car. But in reality most of us with this love and passion barely can keep up with our projects and have to do the most we can with what we have to work with. I am really happy with the way my setup is and it cost me like almost $2000 or so. That's a lot of money for wheels tires and suspension. I wanted Derek's wheels but I just couldn't justify the cost of them. I have so many other expensive projects done on the car and so many to do in the future to get it where I want it to be. I sacrificed a little but after using this setup for a while it has been a pleasure and the best thing for my van other than a rebuilt tranny from Daryl. I always read all the tire/wheel threads and watch people argue over all this and wanted to pass on what I use and has been working really well for me. Sorry For the long post and rant. Adrian

More fuel for the fire:

If you're using 16" wheels on your camper, the German TUV requires a tire with a minimum load index of 99. A regular Vanagon is required to have tires with a minimum load index of 97.

No guess work here, just engineering and testing.

Cheers,

Jeff www.vanagonparts.com