Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:06:18 -0500
From:         Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar power

You have to compare the load that you want to power, i.e. radio, lights, t.v., fridge, etc. to the capabilities of the battery and solar panels. Add up the power requirements for each load in amps (divide by 12 if it only lists watts) and multiply by the hours you want to be able to run them, then add these together. You now have the amp-hours that you need for your trip. Compare that to the amp-hour rating of the battery. If your load is much more than your battery can provide, you'll want a solar panel that can provide the power much of the load when it is sunny. So you have to check out the output of the solar panel. Most of the panels for $30 or even $70 don't provide enough amperage to recharge a battery in a relatively short time. Also consider that you shouldn't totally discharge even deep cycle batteries, so you should get a solar panel that will be able to charge the battery back up to its capacity so you can use it the next day.

I don't see any outputs listed on the cheaper panels, but the one on sale for $99.99, reg. $149.99. is listed at 15 watts. That's just over one amp. There's not much that you can run on one amp, so you'd have to rely mostly on the battery, and hope the solar panel could just help to charge it while you weren't using any load, for example if you used your radio and lights at night and let the solar panel charge the battery during the day.

I, too, have considered adding solar panels to my Vanagon, but I think to get panels that would allow me to be self-sufficient without running the van to charge the batteries for a whole weekend, I'd need about $400 or more of solar panels and a charge controller (to prevent overcharging). What I do now is use two of the largest amp-hour deep cycle batteries that most stores sell, and either charge them on the way back from a long trip, or just charge them using a battery charger at home.

Ed

Subject: Solar power