Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:50:23 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Fan Turns On But Not Off
Comments: cc: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>, motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM

Yes, it looks like a latch condition could be caused by the AC high pressure switch being on all the time, whether from an overfill or stuck switch. Once low speed is triggered by the AC on/off switch or the radiator temp switch, the voltage is looped back to the relay control line for 2nd speed fan.The switch is behind the pillar cover with the rest of the main AC wiring in the left rear passenger compartment. It has a 2 wire connector to it, both wires should be black/red stripe.

Bentley pages 97.140 and 97.141 show the wiring. Pin 5/6 of the AC relay is where the 2 circuits are tied together, allowing current to feedback into the 2nd speed relay control from the output of the same relay, using a reverse path through the first stage of the fan resistor. Minor design flaw I'd say but perhaps done for a reason.

Pull the relay in relay panel position 5 and the problem should cease. Don't run the AC for long like that. Then determine if the AC is overcharged or the switch is bad.

Mark