Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:42:13 -0500
From:         John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Stupid Tire Thread..was Re: 15" Wheel/Tire Report -
              Caution

I have had 3 Vanagon's (1 synchro), 2 Bay windows, and 10 sets of tires. I have had 2 unsafe sets of cheap pax car tires that sucked. I have had Goodyear LTX m+s, Michelin X, MXT, XCA, Hydroedge (16"), and one set of Pirellis that I cannot remember the model. All of them up to and including the MXT's made me think vanagons and bay windows were just horrible handling vehicles. The XCA's, which I still have and are wonderful (and for sale cheap) compared to all that came before. They are only bad in the snow. The VW van "dance" went away with them. I then read GOWESTY's tire theory and could not have agreed more. I purchased a set of their 16 inch wheels and Hydroedge tires. What a revelation. The van (2wd Westy) is now firmly planted to the earth, wet or dry or snow. Great steering feel, and better stability than even the XCA's. Vanagon's, IMHO, require reinforced tires in 14 by skinny wheel sizes. Larger and wider wheels coupled with tires removes the restriction for reinforced tires. Vanagons, compared with newer vehicles, are very light. My 2wd Westy SVX weighs probably 3700 lbs empty. This is less than many mid size cars. It is significantly less than any full size car. I may try some different tires on my synchro but it will definitely be in 16" or at least 15 by 6.5. The problem is not the tires per se. It is the rediculous set of skinny wheels that VW spec'ed for the vans. Most of the world uses VW vans as commercial vehicles. They also have a wide selection of comparable small commercial vehicles running around on small wheels and therefore have a better selection of tires available.

Just my opinion based on 250,000 miles in VW vans,vanagons. 230,000 of those were on tires that sucked.

John 87 Westy SVX (16") 86 Sycnhro (gonna be 16") 91 GL (undecided, maybe for sale)