Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:01:55 -0500
From:         Bill Witz <pbwitz@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: trip report and photos--Utah's "dusty" desert

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:15:25 -0700, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>"You guys are kidding right? There's nothing there! Sit on the toilet, >> close your eyes and you'll get the same effect (without the dust coated >> lungs of course)." > >Some people aren't impressed that this entire area was once under 3000' of >"inland sea" and all these sediments were layed down over centuries of >inflow. Some people aren't impressed with the idea that much of this area >was "tipped" to the north, and that's when the canyon of the Grand Canyon >began, long before the Colorado River began running through it in the >opposite direction. Some people aren't impressed that this entire area then >"tipped" toward Mexico and the sea began draining to the south, along with >the origin of the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon. Some people aren't >impressed with the picture of the entire region being a solid bed of >sandstone, not marred and marked with the current eons of erosion, dependent >upon how hard or soft the sediments layed down centuries ago, were. Some >people aren't impressed with the variety of fauna (pronghorn, desert ram, >cactus wren, etc.), and evidence of prehistoric peoples and the dinosaur >tracks. > >Since noone would be foolish enough to express an opinion about the mystery >and beauty of this region without this knowledge, we must simply have >different opinions about what conspires to leave us in awe of what time and >nature provides. Some of us, Vanagons or not, would rather stay at home, sit >on the toilet, and think about what might be out there, so they don't have >to get dusty. > >Thanks so much for the real, rather than imagined trip report, Richard. Did >you take your porta-potty, and imagine what it was like where the rest of us >were? ;) > >Got my van back this morning. don't realize how much I miss having it until >I don't have it. Looking forward to getting back out there, where it's >dusty. > >My best, >Bob Stevens >'87 Westy Syncro >http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tiico

Please forgive me but I think at the risk of sounding "mysterious" their something very powerful about emptiness. Would all be better with a bunch of little boxed on it? Dont think so. The four corners, Mesa Verdi, Alcoma, Taos,Zion, Brice you can go on and on. May be Cause it is what it really is with out pretense. A long time ago I watched a full moon rise over spruce house.Been a Believer in something Bigger than myself.

Bill Witz