Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:11:46 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV joint theory: long
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

All this perfect fit and new CVs is just a waste of money. I've bought new Lubro CVs and I'm sure they were better than the used CVs I'd been getting from the bone yards. These CVs are tougher than a boot and as long as the cages are in good shape and there aren't any pitting in the housings or drive balls you could easily run 50,000 miles on a properly lubricated loose fitting CV. It's normal for older axles to allow the CV to move laterally about 1/8" or less (that is what the cupped washer fixes, removes slack). It's also normal for some CVs to be bound on the axles. Remember that you've got an old van and several people have had a go at those axles before you got the van. With less than 90 horsepower to work with the CVs don't take that much of a beating. I'd speculate that most CVs fail or get damaged because they're run dry or the boots get damaged and allow dirt and water to get into the drive. (That's what I've found on about six out of ten vans I've owned.) With 11 years of Vanagon ownership I can tell you that your worst enemy is paranoid maintenance syndrome that equates to you worrying yourself to death about every little bump and jiggle you hear going down the road. Your right rear wheel is the drive wheel and gets the most wear. The opposing axles just freewheels 99% of the time so loose CVs make little difference even if they clack a little. As long as they are properly lubricated they'll get you across America. The Tri Square bolts that are furnished with many CV boot kits are a necessity. They allow you to properly torque the CVs to the stubs and are the proper fastener for installing CVs. Lots of CVs from CV shops or shade tree mechanic shops will be installed with Allen Socket Head Screws and removing them is quite testy if they're real tight. I've ground down Allen wrenches from a size larger wrench several times to drive them into tight Allen Screws that were stubborn and wouldn't release. If you make many long trips you should have a preventive maintenance schedule and get the few required lubrication items handled, the various sealing boots checked and carry a few of the hard to find replacement parts. The Vanagon CV is a popular Audi and VW part and isn't hard to find at any FLAPS.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com