Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:39:23 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV joint theory: long

>IMHO, trying to work with used CV's is a trap, and simply not worth the >effort.

>Get it over with. Replace the blasted things with new Lobros, grease, >and boots and have done with it. No more worries and aggravations.

>One thing!. Be sure the bolts are properly torqued all the way around or >you will get a knocking sound that duplicates a knocking bearing about >to fail. I know! BTDT!!!

Thanks John,

I torqued them, and without even driving it, the axle is moving, on a fairly new joint that, thirty minutes previous, did not. I don't think its the bolts :-)

I disagree with your statement about used CVs, because everyone here is driving around on used CVs. The archives are filled with the recommendation that we need to take them apart, clean em, and grease em up every Xthousand miles. That is what I did, why is that wrong?

Hundreds of dollars for joints on a van that I don't drive, and probably will never be able to take on another trip, thanks to gas prices and environmentalist idiots, is a bit exhorbitant for an unemployed owner, if you ask me. Every year, I have to do whatever it takes to get it registered and inspected, because the law does not permit me to keep my van unless I register it, and insure it. The government will come take it away if its on my property in that condition, so I am forced to do what I can to hang onto it, and get it inspected every year, until life improves, or I mercifully drop dead. I am very sad to say that I cannot afford to use it, but now that I have paid my annual tribute of about $150 to the kings and queens who run this bullshit country, I am graciously permitted to keep it on my property until next year, when I have to do it all over again. Why would I sink hundreds of dollars into CVs?

They are working fine, no noise, nothing to worry about, and when I am rich beyond my wildest dreams, it will be new CVs all around, but everyone here says its okay to pull your joints and clean and repack them, which is what I did.

All I asked was if anyone knew what makes the knocking sound when they go bad, as I see nothing inside that I can picture actually allowing the axle to move up and down and make that kind of sound.

Anyway, that is enough, and I won't bother the list anymore with questions about it tho, as I can see I have overstayed my welcome on the subject. :-)

Thanks,

John