Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:23:46 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: trip report and photos--Utah desert--road conditions
Comments: To: syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>

Several have asked about the roads in the Robbers Roost area and the San Rafael Desert and whether 2wd Vanagons can go there.

The principal problem is sand--very, very fine, red sand. If it is damp, it is quite firm. It blows across the area, so fills the road in places because the road in usually several/many inches below the ground level. In most places, this is just a small amount of sand and is of no problem to 2wd vehicles. This photo shows the most typical road condition: http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/Utah05/R1-12.jpg

However, I remember how my 2wd '81 Vanagon likes to wallow around in sand, and I would be careful, especially with stock (narrow) 185R14 tires. Keep the speed up and blast through the short places.

The only place with longer streches of sand that would probably get my '81 is the spur to Robbers Roost Spring. I don't think I could get through them--and a Westy would be heavier. Beware. It has a couple of longer, curved sections of sand. The curves would do me in by taking my speed.

The only rough/steep place was a very short section at the last isthmus to Angel Point. I'm sure I would have driven my '81 down it--and back. Back would have meant hitting it hard with enough speed. That's where the granny low of the Syncro is so wonderful. I shudder when I remember what I used to do to my '81 years ago. Bent one control arm.... The air-cooled has no torque at low rpm; maybe the waterboxers are better and could just crawl up a place like this.

In general the roads on the E side of the river, nearer Moab were less sandy, except for the spur to Needles Rock--which really continues as a very sandy 4wd road for the big-tired Jeeps.

Wider tires on a 2wd Westy would be a lot better in this country. Plus maybe airing down some.

All this said, remember that I get pretty conservative when I head out alone to places like this! Pmail me if you have more specific questions.

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado