Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:29:47 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Heads Final report and lessons learned

Greetings all

The heads are done and all is well. I started this project before Christmas and have had many delays. One of the biggest was that I find it difficult to work during the week, so this was a perpetual weekend job (I have no life)

What did I learn:

1. it is not that difficult

2. I bought tools that really helped

a. A package of small awls (various shaped ends)

b. Disc grinder (very helpful on the exhaust)

c. a 30mm socket to turn the engine

d. tap and die for the head bolts

3. I seem to be constantly running out of nuts and bolts until it just bought a bag (I replaced as many as I could)

4. having the cylinders come off is not a problem (I borrowed a ring compressor, I'll buy one next time) and in fact next time I'll just take them out to replace that lower o-ring. And to lap in the tops of the cylinders

5. buying a whole engine gasket set was a good choice

6. I ran out of exhaust gaskets twice

7. I replaced the tail pipe since I had the exhaust out any ways

8. I used two drop lights in a well lit garage (good idea)

9. I have a set of those ratchet combination wrench sets (very useful)

10. I changed all the exhaust nuts and bolts to metric 13 mm

11. I should have bought a tap and die for the standard 13mm bolts that I was using

12. have plenty of ratchet extensions and at least one universal joint

13. I used rope and a bungee cord to tie up the manifold and A/C unit (hung it from the top hatch door lip)

14. rear tires are best off

15. having a foxtail to keep the are clean (creeper kept skidding on the little rocks that fell off)

16. have plenty of coolant catchers I used the old turkey roster pan and two small plastic trash cans

17. smacking your forehead on the trailer hitch causes potty mouth no matter how many time you do it

18. having a bench grinder with a wire wheel allowed me to clean most parts and exhaust flanges

19. I didn't separate the cat converter from the muffler

20. I used compressed air to clean parts (used my scuba tanks)

21. minimize the number of tools that you have out

If had to do it again (or when) if you are not close to a parts store get all you parts, think ahead, VW parts dept isn't open on the weekend, washers and sockets always roll way beyond your reach; if you don't have them you will dream of air tools.

For those think of doing it, jump in, you can do it, when in doubt label and clean.

Jere

90 GL/Carat-a-version