Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:18:28 -0800
From:         Apracticalguy <apracticalguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best 4 spd Syncro starter replace solution?
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

I'm having starter problems also...after careful thought and lots of local calling....I decided to take my Westy over to GoWesty to have the starter replaced (165 miles 0ne way)....we think it's the starter....it's there now...I may have the alt and ignition switch done while it's there.....starter is $230 + 1 hr labor ($75.00)....the alt is $130 + 1/2 labor ($37.50)....switch is $15.00 + 1 hour labor ($75.00)....this will clear my electrical system of any wrong doing....it's the only system that wasn't addressed....hope this helps!

BTW: I rather fix it at home for 1/2 the cost...much easier this way :)

Take a look at this:

http://www.gowesty.com/starter_story.htm

--- Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET> wrote: > I always have my starters, alternators, generators > rebuilt locally and I've > had excellent long term service on everything from > Allis Chalmers, Hyster, > Towmotor, VW, Porsche, GM and even Fiat and MG > starters/alt/etc. > I just figure I'm getting a hand made part and I > prefer that to a mass > production part from Brazil, Mexico etc. > > Stan Wilder > Engine Ceramics > 214-352-4931 > www.engineceramics.com > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tom L. Salicos" <TomSalicos@COMCAST.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 9:18 PM > Subject: Best 4 spd Syncro starter replace solution? > > > I've read that I don't want Bosch rebuilt starters, > tho' I know not why. > What is the best replacement for a starter? Are new > available? Thanks, > > Tom Salicos > > '87 Westy Syncro > '76 Bug > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.7.4 - Release > Date: 3/18/2005 >