Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:49:38 -0500
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: hot water?  500W worth?
Comments: To: al_knoll@pacbell.net

Yeah, I've looked into the draw and supply issues. I was wondering on how 110vt heating elemetns would perform on 12vts? would likely require jumpercables to handle the power/heat

the heater I have installed under my kitchen sink @home is quite efficent with heating and retaining heat of the 3-4cups capacity hot water. it only takes a minute to initially heat the water then it just clicks on and off about once every 20 minutes for a duration of approx 10-15seconds to maintain heated water.

I figure if switched on while 'on route' and not asking it to maintian hot water all night long. kick it on in the morning it heats fast.

now add in that when using a campsite with 110vts the double throw douple pole switches all my 110 from inverter to shore power

I'll report back to the list after/during this season on it's actuall performance. that and my 5gal SS soda keg of homebrew with tap into the sink as well.

Dan stevens

>>> "Pensioner" <al_knoll@pacbell.net> 3/14/2005 12:12:47 AM >>> Hi dosteven, that 500w heater will draw 48Amps from 12vdc if the inverter is perfect. But like most things it ain't perfect and has an efficiency of conversion that is probably around 85% so you'll draw something like 50A. A 65AH battery will supply 50A for about 30 minutes (yep, the numbers don't add up but, entropy rules and we can't get out of the game.

Wire that sucker with 2AWG so things other than the hot water don't heat up too much.

Best,

Al (BSEE, MSEE, dwEEb)