Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:08:11 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: BFG All Terrain AT-KO tire spec
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

A light truck tire with a 93 load rating is more than sufficient for a 2wd Vanagon. Light truck tires do not need their load rating reduced as do passenger car tires when used in a light truck application. A 93 load rating works out to 1,433 lbs max load which is the highest amount of gross vehicle weight that any one wheel position should see.

The 97 load rating shown on the door sticker of 2WD Vanagons is for the optional 205/70R-14 tire size. This has to be a passenger car type tire since it includes a re-inforced sidewall requirement. There wouldn't be any need to re-inforce a light truck tires sidewall to use it in a light truck application.

Good luck,

Tim

Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> wrote: You know, its funny, until Derek pointed out to me I didn't realize the 14" version of this tire was "technically" of insufficient load rating (95, instead of 97). Like him, however, I have no qualms recommending it on Vanagons. This is one good tire. I used to have it on my Syncro Westy (the 14" one that is). I now use the 215/75R15 version (which has a sufficient load rating.) And can't recommend this tire enough. Excellent in snow. Good on highway and off road use. About the only place it begins to have any alternatives to choose from is in muddy terrain, but that's what winches are for right?

For you 2 wheel folks, it's still a good tire choice as far as I'm concerned.

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wanderlodge FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com