Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:28:57 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: BFG All Terrain AT-KO tire spec

After running Yoko Y370 load range D tires for 8 years, I found the 14" BFGs were noticeably softer in the sidewall, creating less stability at speed, and in crosswinds. However, I agree they are an excellent tire for rough road applications, seem to do quite well on the highway, and are surprisingly quiet. They also seem to have a rubber compound less resistance to cuts and tears than the Y370s - I drive a lot of rough roads with fresh blast rock spoil on the surface, and the Y370s look like they were attacked with a hatchet after one summer; the BFGs look like new still.

I've only had them for a year, but have no problems recommending them for someone wanting a more aggressive tread. But if you do mostly paved roads, the Y370, Agilis or LTX are probably better choices. I found the BFGs are 50 psi (max) were roughly equal to the Y370s are 42-44 psi in terms of apparent stiffness while driving on the highway.

I have the BFGs on the rear @50 psi, and Y370s on the front at 44-48psi, and this seems to work best. I do still feel the tail wag more than when I had Y370s all around.

Shawn Wright http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright '85 Jetta TD (retired) '85 Jetta D '88 Westy 2.1L '82 Diesel Westy