Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:54:18 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: audi wheels on vanagon,
              was Re: Call for .Actual Vehicle Weight info / al...
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Hi Volks,

What I haven't seen mentioned here (yet) is that the Audi may not weigh as much, but it is capable of putting more stress on a rim than a vanagon does due to its higher output engine and the higher speeds it was designed to handle at.

There's more to stressing a rim than static load. Cornering, braking and accelleration make stress too. Lots of Audi's and Benz's do corners and accell/decel better than a vanagon. Their rims have to handle that stress.

FWIW, I just swapped a set of stock 1988 vanagon rims onto my 1973 westy to take advantage of the Michelin Agilis 185R14's that came with the Vanagon. With them in place and the captain's chairs from the Vanagon installed I'm really looking forward to the reduced road noise on my trip to Everynus in three weeks.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D 1988 Vanagon GL 8-passenger Automatic http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com