Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:17:42 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Recent Trip - FWIW

>>>If I could get past the phobia of the dropped valve seat that has been >threatened many times here, I would certainly sleep better :-)<<

>Although I drove my 81 Air-cooled Westy more than 200,000 miles over 13 >years I was only stranded once. Yep, you guessed it. It dropped a valve >seat while I was on vacation in Moab, Utah. It happens. I don't know >what I would have done without Tom Arnold at Tom-Tom's Volkswagen Museum >(junk yard).

Oh gee, thanks for that little tidbit :-) Moab/Canyonlands is one of my favorite destinations. Tell me more about Tom Arnold? Might come in handy.

>(I remember being told by Leonard at AVP that on his rebuilds he >strengthens the valve seat. I never had a problem after I installed the >AVP engine.)

AVP is on my list, but cash is not available. I have read about heads that have been modified to eliminate the dropped valve seat (whatever elminate means <shrug>) and would not go any other way.

A long time ago, I became convinced that I would need a new engine one day, so I stopped being concerned about the longevity of this one and just enjoyed it. I figured that if it gave up on me, I would just buy a rebuilt engine and carry on. Not that expensive overall. Where I got to being concerned was to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, or very far from and VW qualified help. That made me get the AAA+ RV for the extended mileage, and I avoid extended travel when the temps get way up there (I hate the heat anyway, so its a good excuse <g>)

The dropped valve seat bothers me in that I don't know if it would hang me out to dry, or if I could limp it back to a place to get some help. I guess it depends on how bad it is, but in my mind, its one of the more likely scenarios that would stop me dead where I was, which doesn't sit well with me.....

Anyway, interesting story. I hope its not repeated <g>

Thanks,

John