Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:05:23 -0800
From:         Marc Sayer <marcsayer@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alcohol, Baby ! (Was Octane)

Robert Keezer wrote:

> --- Andrew Richards wrote: > >>A question for you Vanagon drivers: >>What grade gasoline do you put in your rides? I've >>been using 89 mid-grade since I bought my van in >>July, but just noticed the VW sticker calling for at >>least 91 octane. > > > > 91 RON is 87 CLC. US does not go by RON. > > > > I'm on my second tank of Premium > >>with no noticable performance or mileage changes. > > That's why I run regular- I notice no more power, > mileage is constant.

You have to adjust your ignition timing to take advantage of the slower burning higher octane premium. The advanced timing may give you a bit more pep and probably will give slightly better throttle response. It will raise your idle speed so you will have to readjust that too. It may give you very slightly better mileage, or it might not.

> Since the West coast doesn't sell any of this fuel, > you have to go to the corn belt to find it, though it > is available in other states.

There is a station planned for Eugene OR that will sell alternative fuels including biodiesel and alcohol blends. We may yet see E85 on the west coast. Since I live right here in the Eugene metro area, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

-- Marc Sayer Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956) Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc. Springfield, OR USA

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepage - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.8.0 - Release Date: 3/21/05