Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:38:02 -0800
From:         John Reynolds <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2 weeks enough to cross country - w/kids?

"I choose to calculate from Seattle to Fall River, approx. 3,100 miles. "

Well I'm about 10min.'s from Fall River, so you must have psychic powers. The van is near Anacortes, if I remember right, about 1 1/2 -2 hours No of Seattle.

Regarding the reply from John - don't worry I figured that you were talking about both ways when I calculated the fuel mileage and hours. I figure $400 in gas, 55-60 hours of driving allowing for gas stops. Mapquest lists 50 hours for the trip.

Thanks for all the replies - we are definitely leaning to driving - this thought has me a little scared after reading all the tales of breaking down. I think getting a DVD player for the kids is a great idea - and lots of books. Also one was getting the kids involved with reading maps and planning the day. I only wish I could take 3 (or 4 ) weeks from work to do the trip.

I have thought of driving from Anacortes to Cody WY (just East of Yellowstone) where we have friends, flying home and leaving my family to explore Yellowstone, then returning a week later for the drive home - taking a week to do such. But it's another air fare and logisitics problems.

We will be camping in the van, so our hotel costs will be minimal. This van does not have a stove, but we have a Coleman one to use.

Keep the comments coming - really appreciate it.

John