Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:19:36 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heads up re: repair shop in CA or Anywhere Else

In a message dated 3/23/05 4:13:43 PM, marcsayer@COMCAST.NET writes:

<< I would recommend folks stay as far away from this man as possible. German accent or no, he is not what I would call a good VW mechanic. >>

It's sometimes funny - the impression a thick accent can make, either good or bad. The two biggest liars/thieves I have dealt with had accents which matched the heritage of the cars they were dealing in.

One was a German engineer named Willie, no less, who cut a deal with me over the phone for a "perfe-e-ect" sunroof Syncro. I drove nearly 400 miles (after all, he was a GERMAN engineer) only to be confronted by one of the worst shit-boxes I had ever seen. By that point in my life I had dealt with too many assault raps to want the hassle of another one, so I beseeched the Lord for the self-restraint to keep my hands off of that shameless bastard and I resorted to a torrent of epithets which is still, I hope, following him wherever he goes. The van was so bad that had we been on my turf, I doubt if I would have wasted time petitioning the Lord.

The other was a Limey Jag mechanic who had just left the Pittsburgh Jag dealership to set up a shop catering to the primordial Yuppies of Sewickley, PA. He caved-and-paved a Jag sedan until it looked like a thing of beauty to a young sucker like myself. I soon came to realize that beauty was truly only skin deep. After far too many heroics than I wish too explain, I eventually did get a good Jag out of him, although, not the color I wanted. The only thing that saved my ass on that deal was that I was under the age of consent whenever I had cut the deal.

So, keep in mind that liars come in all flavors, but so do good people.

George