Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:09:29 -0500
From:         Robert Campbell <vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Light Question
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

Jere,

I believe that this question has been answered. I had this problem with my '91 Carat when the PO delivered it with 10W40 oil. I've been running with 20W50, changing it EVERY 3000 miles (myself, thank you, because that drain plug is just tooooooo easy to strip) and I have not see the problem in nearly 2 years.

As others have point out, this happens because the engine is aging and getting loose. You need heavier oil to compensate for this. Fortunately for me, I live in FL so I can run 20W50 all year long. If you live where it gets cold, well, 20W50 when cold can be too thick causing other damage because the oil doesn't circulate as well.

Happy Vanagoning....

-Robert '91 Carat - all original 'cept the wheels now :-) nice new 15" alloys 158K miles ------ Original Message ------ Received: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:53:24 AM EST From: Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Oil Light Question

> Hi All, >

> The van is running! Now the oil light comes on when I come off the freeway > from 70 mph after a 25 mile trip. I can rev the engine up and the light > goes off. Then after a minute or so of slow driving I can let it idle with > out the light going off. This happened when I used that cheap Wal-Mart

oil. > I changed it and the problem went away. This time I have Castrol 20-50 in > it with a Phram filter. I just got a few filter in from Bus Depot and will > be changing them our. The question is why is the oil light going off in the > first place? Oil too thick and getting stuck up in the engine or too thin > because it get too hot or is there something else?????