Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:31:34 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      audi wheels on vanagon,
              was Re: Call for .Actual Vehicle Weight info / all years
Comments: To: vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET

In a message dated 3/22/05 9:46:32 AM Eastern Standard Time, vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET writes:

> In an all factory config (original alloys, before my recent change out), > at the Solid Waste Authority in Palm Beach County, my van weighed in at 3800 > pounds on the scale as I left the dump. Subtracting my 210 pounds and you > have a '91 Carat weighing around 3600. I do not recall the amount of fuel > in > it at that time..... > >

i just checked on the quattro list.. the empty weight for a Audi turbo Quattro, late 80's, is 3600 lbs.. curb weight (no cargo or passengers). GVWR is 4200 for my Audi turbo nonQ, so for a Q is would be more, say around 4500 as the diffs and driveshaft of a Q weigh more.

so here you have a '91 Vanagon carat that weighs 3600 with no load or passengers and you have a ('86-'91) audi quattro that weighs 3600 with no load or passengers.

numbers dont lie..

the big audis use the 5x112 bolt pattern.. the late 80's type 44's (5000TQ/200TQ) are very heavy cars. So are the A6, and V8/A8, even heavier. i have used just about every Audi wheel on a vanagon (some of my pics are on BenT's wheel page) and never had an issue with damaging a wheel. in fact, the "Fuchs" wheels that were offered as an option on the '86-'88 audi 5000TQ are Forged...and they use them for UrQ rally cars..forged wheels are stronger than any steel or aluminum cast wheel that was ever offered on the vanagon. the V8/ A8 wheels are a 38mm offset and are good choices too. i did not give the curb unladen weight for a Audi V8 or A8, but it is SUBSTANTIALLY heavier than the 5000/200. Listmember Hans Achter has 1990 Audi V8 wheels on his syncro. as with any audi wheels, they are a direct bolt on for the syncro with no mods, but you will need to machine the centers and if you are using them on a 2wd. All audi wheels have different offsets..most are 45mm but the heavier V8 audis use a lower offset 35-38mm.

the vanagon stock alloys will bend, just like any other wheel. i have a pic of a bent carat alloy if anyone wants to see.

more info can be found on Bens wheel page.

chris