Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:50:04 -0500
From:         Dennis <guskersthecat@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Oil pump losing prime on 55 degree conversion..solved?

When I first did my vanagon conversion (2.0 I4 at 55 degrees using diesel parts) I had a problem with the oil pump losing its prime. This first occurred after sitting in my mechanic buddie's yard for two weeks waiting for the AC retrofit. Being that I taken a brand new 36mm oil pump, and replaced the top half of the pump with the diesel pickup part, I figured something was amiss with the old pickup assembly. After sorting out an initial issue with oil pressure fluctuations (solved with a 2.0L windage tray) I had swapped in the stock diesel Mann oil filter. I had searched these archives for oil prime issues and one of the posts suggested the filter might be an issue. Well the problem hadn't returned since then (last year). After about 5000km of breaking the engine in, I replaced the oil with synthetic, but used the smaller gas 2.0L Mann filter.

So yesterday when I tried to fire it up for a winter warm up (after sitting in the garage for 5 weeks or so), no oil pressure. I shut it down after a few seconds, and tried twice more. Still no oil pressure. Today I went out to pull the distributor and prime the engine, but first, on a whim, swapped the diesel oil filter back in. I figured it was worth a try as I can see definite differences in the anti-drain back mechanism. I turned the engine over and about 2 seconds later, full oil pressure.

So my theory here is that either the filter itself or the anti-drainback valve is more restrictive on the Mann gas I4 filter. Given the extra length of the oil pickup on the diesel, one wonders if the diesel type filter is designed for less restriction/easier prime. It holds likely twice as much oil as the gas version which was my original motivation for using it.

In short order, I'll be installing a 1 litre accusump pre-luber which will resolve the issue permanently. I'm still not comfortable with the one or two second delay in seeing oil pressure on cold starts.

Any experts on the diesel oil filter here?