Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:40:36 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      No update, just curious about idle/reset

Okay, don't know about the rest of you, but I've about had enough of the several hundred posts on tire sizes, offsets, and GVWR . . . :-) Now for something a bit different . . . NOT!

My last update on my losing power issue was all I've done, just about, since then. Dealing with an '87 Westy here, AT . . . At any rate, with the timing set properly and the throttle switch seeming to be working properly, I decided to disconnect the O2 sensor and drive the van for a few hundred miles and see if I can't burn out some of the soot in the exhaust. Haven't had a chance to check all the sensors as I said I was going to, and I haven't been able to find Darrell Boehler's article with all the settings for all the sensors. Nor has he responded to my email requests for such. Oh well. I did manage to at least change the oil and filter over this past weekend. So, without having done any of the proper troubleshooting, I am still trying to understand the Vanagon a little better and just have a couple of questions about what happened today. Here's the scoop:

Started the van this morning, temp. in the upper 40s. It was idling low, stalled once, and almost stalled a couple more times. Drove the 15 miles to work and did experience the low power thing on the way there. The engine temp. needle never got all the way off of the white mark. Generally I would expect it to get to the middle of the gauge by that time. Parked the car at work and the idle was smooth at about 900 RPMs. Okay. Left work this evening and drove home. Outside temp. in the 60s. Started losing power the closer to home I got. The temp. needle was a little bit above the white mark. When I pulled in the driveway and put it in Park, it was "idling" at 500-600 RPMs and sounded like it was only running on three cylinders. I turned it off and back on. The idle jumped up to about 1400 RPMs for a few seconds, then dropped down to a smooth idle at 900. Now for the questions: What is getting reset when you turn the engine off and back on? The ECU? If so, then that would indicate that any one of the devices that the ECU monitors, or the harness itself, could very easily be causing my problem, yes? Probably not the fuel pressure though, right? I think this is what Bob Donalds has been trying to tell me all along . . . Don't get frustrated with me, Bob, I'm just trying to get a better handle on this system so that I can be better at fixing it.

Regarding the settings for all the sensors and such that the ECU measures, can that information be found in ONE place in the Bentley, or do you just have to dig through all of it?

Thanks for any light you all can shed on this curious beast. Marc Perdue, really enjoying the coming of Spring and looking forward to festival season . . .