Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:06:29 -0500
From:         Michael Wagner <mwagner628@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Only other Vanagon owners understand the humor in this . . .

Hi Folks -

There are just some things that only other Vanagon owners understand and can relate to. Like my recent trip through the Motor Vehicle Inspection lanes here in Delaware.

As we all will probably agree, the people that work in most Motor Vehicle bureaus aren't always of the cheerful persuasion. They also are probably all subjected to Klingon painsticks during their indoctrination into the department, so they never show any emotion positively or negatively about individual components of the testing regimen while you are going through, so you never really know if you're in for trouble or not. This is unfortunate, and probably worse for us with aging vehicles that are not exactly "mainstream" in design.

I took my 85 Westy in today for its every-other-year mandatory inspection. As expected, they looked at me like I was an alien with three heads pulling up in a flying saucer. After the usual light and wiper tests, the first real grunt I got out of the guy was over the horn. I had to tell him it wasn't malfunctioning and was supposed to sound that way.

Then I got passed along a little further where a woman asked me where the engine was. Duh - as usual it was loud I enough I couldn't believe she needed to ask, but I told her it was in the rear. She walked around the back of the van, then all the way around the front, then to the back again, then came back to me to ask where the "hood" was. I turned the engine off and got out, which she was clearly not happy about, and told her I would show her. I asked why she needed to know that, and all I got was "I have a test to do with the hood open". I said "fine", opened the rear door, tossed the padded cushion off the engine hatch, and pointed to it and said "OK - there's the closest thing I have to a hood". She said "oh no", and then said "forget it". I'm thinking this can't be good news.

She then asks me to get back in the vehicle and start it again. I do.

She walks around the van again and finally after her second time around, stops and lifts the electrical cover on the driver side. After a couple of seconds, she puts it down and finally asks me "where is the gas cap?". I turn off the van again, and get out, taking her to the passenger side and pointing. Of course, it is locked so I hand her the keys. She can't get the cap off, so I do it for her. She then takes the cap away, and after 3-4 minutes comes back to tell me they don't have an adapter that will allow her to test my gas cap. Again, this can't be good news.

Back in the drivers seat, I'm told to turn on the engine again, and she puts the emission test device into the tailpipe. Of course, this is really the only thing I am ever truly concerned about each time. Fortunately, after about 4 minutes, in typical DMV emotionless mannerisms she says "everything passed", hands me a piece of paper, grunts a "you can pull forward now" and then motioned to the next vehicle. Gotta love it. I'll have to try to get her lane again in two years. At least she'll know not to ask me the hood question again.

MW