Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:36:16 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Recent Trip - FWIW
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

Hi John,

A dropped valve seat will slow you down, but the vehicle would remain drivable. A dropped seat robs an engine of 1/4 of the available power, so you will find that you have very very slow acceleration and a reduced top speed. In 2002 one of the Canadian buses traveling down to EveryBus started to drop a valve seat after about 300 miles, and it completed the 1800 mile return trip without incident. When the owner got home he pulled the head and replaced the valve and had a new seat installed.

Running a cylinder head temp (CHT) gauge is a good way to monitor the head temps and avoid the high (>450) temps that cause seat failure. They cost about $100 and take less than an hour to install. Once you have one of these in place you can reduce your fear of valve damage substantially.

NOTE: If you don't change your driving habits when you know there's a dropped seat, you run the risk of further engine damage. Eventually the valve will come apart, or the seat will get pinched by the piston, and after that all bets are off.

In other words: Could I get home if my engine dropped a valve seat out in the desert somewhere? Yes. Should I drive into the desert with a dropped seat already in my engine? No.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D 1988 Vanagon GL 8-passenger Automatic http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com