Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:06:55 -0500
From:         MilosKitchen <sagmoore@ZOOMINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up
Comments: To: jbange <hfinn@INGRATES.NET>

No reason at all not to eliminate it, as now a-days there are much better replacements. I broke mine merely twisting the old fuel hose off prior to removing the original wbxer engine. The reason it is there is to have a connection point (or disconnection point, if you will) to remove or reinstall the engine. 20 years down the line there is a lot of hardware available made of metal or other newer plastics that will do this job better than the original fatigue weakened thermally cycled fitting waiting to fracture and hose your engine externals with fuel.

Dave

P.S. I'm not being an alarmist. Some of the old fittings are quite fine, some are definitely not. Sometimes, it is useful to perform a destructive test on the subject in question before it bites me. I replace the offending part with a new one (or a new solution), and see how easily the old part breaks. Last year I was in the middle of this exercise when the old fitting fractured inside the hose as I withdrew it. Very little effort was required, which is what shocked me. This was a 1991 Carat automatic from Oklahoma. My older '87 Syncro fitting was conversely tough as nails, but do I trust it now? No.