Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:49:13 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Westy MPG?  Cruising speed?

It depends on what you like, but it's not as slow as it's cracked up to be with a decent engine. I prefer driving my diesel westy to my 90 carat, it's just more fun and not a whole lot slower. Working on it is like playing a game compared to working on the waterboxer where it's all misery all the time in comparison.

Get a 5 speed if you can, it makes a big difference. I went 1600 miles last week without downshifting lower than fourth. With a four speed, I would have been into third a bunch of times. That pegs you out at around 40. With the five-speed, the slowest you'll have to endure on steep long hills, loaded down, is maybe 50.

With a 5-speed, you can cruise at 72 under favorable conditions. With the four speed I think VW recommends 65 cruising speed.

You can only go 65 a lot of the time anyway (headwinds, hills) but it that doesn't bother you then you will love the simplicity and the mileage. I get about 26 around town. Better on the highway unless really loaded down, and I was so loaded this last trip that I didn't even try to figure it. Some drivers report a lot higher. I haven't done anything to improve the mileage like change the injector pump timing, but mainly because I have a turbo diesel sitting in the floor in preparation for a swap.

Go over to the yahoo! diesel list and ask around. You'll get good advice there.

Jim