Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:52:27 -0500
From:         Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up

I tend to be suspect of any plastic fitting in the fuel system, simply because the fuel the engineers designed it for no longer exists. In ~20 years, we have some totally new additives (MTBE comes to mind) that the existing plastics were never tested with. This may explain the fact that they are now very delicate and fragile.

And I'll stay with my fiberglass hatch cover. Fiberglass is an insulator, and should help keep the interior damage down (providing the fire doesn't burn too long!). I think the reason people wanted to get rid of the fiberglass covers is the misconception that they were plastic. A plastic cover would be a very BAD idea...

Don in Reidsville, NC 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage ----- Original Message ----- From: "MilosKitchen" <sagmoore@ZOOMINTERNET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wed 30 March 2005 19:26 Subject: Re: Another Vanagon Burns Up