Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:00:52 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      vanagon burns - insane person testing - do not attempt to
              duplicate

As I am currently very busy with a cutting torch on a vanagon I decided to run some tests on flammability and how easy to extinguish.

The rubber around the engine bay does not ignite easily. However once started it can be put out very quickly if it is by itself. I found that if it was in contact with extremely hot metal it was very difficult to extinguish.

Plastic in the engine area (air cleaner etc) same thing. Did not ignite quickly, had a slow phase and then ignited fast and hard and hot.

The brownish fiberglass in the vehicle panels caught my attention because of a recent thing about an aircraft fire several years ago. Turns out it is the same stuff. When new it is fireproof, at the age it is in our vans it is not fireproof any longer. It can ignite at a very low temp and then smolder to a higher hotter temperature.

Several tests I did showed that a fire could be started in the engine bay from electrical and not from fuel lines alone. The alternator high current wiring runs right next to a fuel line. Several other wires in the engine bay are not fused and run right over fuel lines. I think I understand why almost all newer vehicles have fuses in the alternator charge circuit. Seriously thinking rewire on my van after the wiring tests. Run a separate alt line to the batt with fuse in line.

Note that all of these tests were run under very controlled situations and still gave me some rather shocking info about the materials in the engine bay and surrounding area. (I didn¹t want the fire dept showing up because I overly alarmed my neighbors.) the fuel line test I rigged up in by BBQ. Some of the plastic and rubber tests were run in a metal container I rigged up. This I rigged up so that I could clamp it shut if needed.

The clothes I had on still reek of burnt rubber after washing. Restarted the washer.

All the tests I did showed that a fire would have to be burning for a while to reach critical points even if it was a fuel fire to start.

The final test was to let a combination rubber, plastic, and extremely hot metal (used the torch to get the metal to melt temp) ignite and then hit it with a one pound powder.) unfortunately proved my theory. Once the metal has hit a temperature where it alone will sustain burn in the plastics and rubbers the fire is not going to be stoppable with anything short of about a 10 pounder. Or about 5 gallons of water. If the metal is cooled enough the rubber goes back to melting rather than burning. Note at this point your engine should have run out of petrol fuel to burn and fortunately the vanagon is not a bay bus with the tank right there, unless it is a syncro.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com