Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Apr 2005 03:37:21 -0400
From:         Phil Zimmerman <phil.zimmerman@MAIL.CRCN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Where do I get a hose clamp removal tool?

>Aaarrgh! I've had it with vice grips! Does anyone know if there is a tool >that exists specifically designed to be used with the VW spring loaded hose >clamps? If it exists, where do I get it from? > >Cheers! >David Marshall

Hi David,

(Canadian Content) KD Tool, makes a line of Hose Clamp Pliers that Lordco carries in-stock at most their stores. I bought the angled ones, for the hard to get-to clamps. Didn't work at all on any of the clamps larger than the heater-hoses. Returned them for the small sized straight type. Worked just Ok on the larger clamps. Would suggest getting the largest straight one for the larger clamps.

Overall, I still use Vice-Grips sometimes but the dedicated hose clamp pliers are great for removing and adjusting the spring type clamps. Put them to heavy use, replacing all the heater hoses and the long plastic pipes on my Van.

Recently finished replacing the long plastic cooling lines on my Van. Of the four plastic to rubber hose connections, two had spring clamps, two had screw type hose clamps. Of the four connections, two were beginning to separate at the plastic/steel sleeve joint: Both failing connections were under the screw type hose clamps! The joints under the spring clamps looked tight and clean. Tortured them with my largest water pump pliers and they wouldn't budge. My assumption here is that the spring clamps are less likely to degrade the plastic pipes than a screw type hose clamp that is so easily over-tightened. Food for thought.

How's your winter been this year?

regards

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC