Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:12:01 -0600
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: re diesel injection pumps
Comments: To: benny_terry@sympatico.ca
              Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:23:46 -0400)

Hi Ben,

The swap you are doing is quite interesting. Putting in a 1.9l TDI block while keeping the simpler and easier to understand/maintain mechanical injection pump from the 1.9l TD. You should be able to gain the higher efficiency (more power and lower fuel consumption at the same time!) from the TDI, while maintaining the simplicity of the TD setup.

As you mention there will be some difficulties in getting the pump tuned right to work with the new block. The most important difference between the blocks is that the TD injects the fuel in a pre-chamber (or swirl chamber), from which (with a bit of delay) it is pressured out into the cyliner. In the TDI it is injected into the cylinder directly (DI = Direct Injection). The latter gives much better thermal efficiency simply because there is less surface area in the combustion chamber to absorb and dissipate the heat energy. Hence more of the heat energy is converted to pressure driving the piston downward.

Now to make the DI engine less Diesel-sounding and palatable to the average auto buyer, VW introduced some innovations:

1. A dual stage injection. Pre-injection delivers a small fuel amount to start rising cylinder pressure gently and prepare for the main injection. 2. A 5 hole nozzle that spreads the fuel more evenly in the cylinder than the 1 hole conventional style nozzle. 3. A specially shaped indentation in the piston to aid in the mixing of fuel and air. (In combination with the TDI head) 4. A computer controlled electronic injection pump that replaces the good old mechanical Bosch pump we all come to love.

Now the key question in your swap is how to make the TDI engine work well without the new and complicated injection pump. To answer that it helps to understand the purpose and function of the innovations above.

Number 1. above helps simulate some of the time delay effects of the pre-chamber in the indirect injection (IDI) engine.

Number 2 and 3 takes over the fuel-to air mixing duty previously done in the swirl chamber of the IDI engine. Still the mixing is not as good in a DI engine compared to an IDI. Hence the DI has to run with much greater air excess than an IDI. (so you need to keep the max fuel setting (smoke screw) to about 20-30% lower.) This might seem like a power loss, but it is compensated by the higher efficiency, (get same power from less fuel). Also the TDI can take higher turbo boost pressures than the IDI before reaching its thermal and mechanical limits.

Number 4 mainly fine tunes the timing of the pump to be optimal for a particular rpm and load. To do this more precisely it uses a needle lift sensor in one of the injectors. (which is one of the common things to malfunction on TDI's)

The good news is that you can get 1 and 2 in your combination engine by using the TDI injectors. Now it may still not work exactly the same as Bosch tends to use different plungers, potentialy different pressure rise curves, different delivery valves etc in the different pumps. But I think it should work good enough to an approximation.

Number three is already installed in your new TDI block. Notice how a TDI head combustion chamber looks much more like a gasoline engine head. This is because the special Diesel shape is built into the piston, and not the head.

By not using 4 you will loose some of the precise dynamic timing adjustment of the true TDI. This will affect noise and vibrations a little, but is neglible in terms of power and fuel efficiency.

(Should you be inclined to experiment you could try to first buy the deliver valves for the DI pump and put them on your IDI pump. (Other possible combinations may be to put the whole "head" ie the pump plunger and associated body from a TDI onto an IDI. The head is available as a service part at Bosch injection shops and can even be had aftermarket from often dubious sources. Now this latter change I don't expect to do much difference and would be more expensive.))

When you time your new combination engine I expect that you should put the setting a bit more retarded for your combination than for the conventional 1.9l TD. I don't know any better advice than to try different settings and see when the engine "sounds right", starts easily etc.

From: Ben and Natasha <benny_terry@sympatico.ca> Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:23:46 -0400

Hello Martin,

I came across your page while searching for some info on the injector pump on my VW. I just dropped a TDI motor into my 95 Golf, minus the injection pump. I used a non-electronic pump (the original pump from the 1.9td that was in the car prior to replacement) and am looking for some information on what modifications need to be made to accomidate this setup. The car is running, but has a lot of blue smoke coming out the back end. I guess I need to turn down the injection pump, but am unsure how to do this. Any ideas?

Check in order of importance (as suggested above). 1. Right (TDI) injectors? 2. Try different (retarded) timings 3. Fuelling settings on the pump.

Do you know of anyone using the non-electronic injection pump in their TDI conversion? Thanks in advance! Ben Terry

I bet many must have tried or thought of this. I'm forwarding this announcement to the vanagon mailing list, where every now and then some good diesel swap information and discussion is on. The vanagon list is on a volunteer, commercial free list server. There are also some Diesel specific lists, but I believe these are on commercial servers that want you to register, combine the list with advertizing etc. Someone from the vanagon list can probably advice on this.

Some years ago I saw ads from someone trying to sell engines made from TDI blocks and IDI pumps. I never heard from anyone using one of these though, but they might be out there.

Your idea makes sense since a TDI block is no more expensive than the IDI one. It might also be possible to make your own 1.9 IDI into a TDI at rebuild time yourself by just buying and installing the TDI head and pistons. I think block dimensions otherwise are identical between the AAZ IDI and at least some of the TDI.

Good luck, Martin http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw/